Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Art of Letter Writing

Forever More! What in the world has been wrong with me? I used to write my grandparents letters every single day. I could see it in my heart, in my minds eye, my grandfather walking in a high step heading to the "box" to check the mail. Those years have been gone for long time now. I lived in England and missed my family so badly that writing letters home was the only connection I could get my hands on. It was pretty much all they could get their hands on too. A year passed between hugs, but I think there were at least 365 letters or post cards stacked up. When I look at the way I've let that habit stop I'm ashamed of myself. My grandmother is almost 90 years old. She would dearly love to have the gift of a letter in her "box" these days. I'm not going to be selfish any longer with my time. I know this is something she will enjoy. I can't wait to get back in touch with my pen pal! Even though I get to see her more than back in those days...she still needs to see it and read it...that I LOVE HER!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! (I found you on Beth Moore's (LPM) blog.) I've only recently gotten into letter writing, and even early in the game, I'm slacking. Your fortitude to write letters in inspiring. Be Blessed!!!

salty sister said...

Hello Jennifer...I'm just about to do a little happy dance that someone saw my blog.
My grandmother got her letters and she was so proud to get them. My Mom even told me she let her read them too. Since then, I keep a note card near by and jot down thoughts and "happenings" in our day to day life and send in the mail.
Thanks for posting!

Jenn said...

I thought I'd follow up since my last comment. Over the last four days, I've written close to 60 notecards. I was long, long overdue! I'm also getting into sending little packages. I would love to send you one if you could send me an address. You are a blessing to my soul My email is jenn.calhoun@gmail.com

salty sister said...

Well, how sweet! How could I resist...I'll email you my addy. How very nice.
My letter writing is fixing to go into full swing again. I have a secret pal at work and she gave me three packs of monogramed note cards! I wonder if she has checked out my blog. Funny thing is...My grandmother's first initial is R...and so is mine.

My mother is the true letter writer in the family. She is known for her long and emotionally charged letters. She just wrapped up a 15 page letter to my cousin after my uncle died. She wrote her heart out to let her know how good her dad was and all about his family. It was so precious my dad cried. My sister had to read it in sections because it was so tender and brought back so many memories.

WAY TO GO on your notecards! You are a blessing to my soul too.

Love, Robyn